Home Energy Assistance (LIHEAP & USF) - Phillipsburg
Provider: Northwest NJ Community Action Program (NORWESCAP) - Housing and Energy Services
350 Marshall St, Phillipsburg, NJ, 08865 Map
Northwest NJ Community Action Program (NORWESCAP) is an Application Agency for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and the Universal Service Fund (USF).
LIHEAP is designed to help low-income families and individuals meet home heating and medically necessary cooling costs.
The medically necessary cooling assistance benefit is set at $200, that will be applied as a direct credit to an active electric account in the system otherwise they will be issued as one party checks.
An eligible household that heats with natural gas or electricity may have its benefits directly forwarded to its utility company. Otherwise, in most cases eligible households directly responsible to a fuel supplier for payment of home heating costs receive a two-party check in the name of the applicant and the fuel supplier. Households whose heating costs are included in their rent receive a single party check made out to the eligible applicant. A household receiving medically necessary cooling benefits also receives a single party check.
USF is a program created by the State of New Jersey to help make natural gas and electric bills more affordable for low-income households. Those eligible for USF can lower the amount they pay for gas and electricity. The USF benefit appears on the electric or natural gas bill in the form of a credit.
- 3 | Open Mondays
- 4 | Open Tuesdays
- 6 | Open Thursdays
- 7 | Open Fridays
Utility Assistance type:
LIHEAP: The amount of the LIHEAP heating benefit is determined by income, household size, fuel type, and heating region.
- must be responsible for home heating or cooling costs, either directly or included in the rent
- have gross income at or below 200% of the federal poverty level
- have gross income at or below 175% of the federal poverty level
- must pay more than 3% of its annual income for electric or more than 3% for natural gas
- If a household has electric heat, it must spend more than 6% of its annual income on electricity
- recipients must reside at the address provided on their utility account, and USF benefits will only be offered to the person/head of household listed on the utility account
A copy of the application can be obtained by contacting the Application Agency or a copy is available for downloading from the internet. Completed applications should be returned to the Application Agency by mail or in person. Please call the application agency to set up an appointment. Walk in applicants accepted. Persons age 60 or over, or who are disabled, may receive and return applications by mail. Other households may apply by mail at the discretion of the Application Agency. LIHEAP: - Application period is October 1 to August 31st (subject to change) USF: - Applicants may apply for USF at anytime of year Application Mailing Address: Housing & Energy Services 350 Marshall Street Phillipsburg, NJ 08865
- all necessary bills or debts
- application/registration forms
- current utility bills
- driver's license
- proof of home ownership/rental lease
- proof of household income
- rental/lease agreement
- Social Security card/number
- utility disconnection notice
Mon - Fri 8:00am - 4:00pm
Telephones: types, Numbers, and hours
- Toll Free : (800) 510-3102 - LIHEAP Information
- Toll Free : (866) 240-1347 - USF Information
- Main Phone : (908) 454-4778 - Application Agency
- Fax : (908) 454-1800